Sunday, September 30, 2007

Music For Grown-Ups (That need to be in your Ipod)


O.K. I woke-up to a song playin' (I went to sleep wit my Ipod on) and it had me thinkin'...I'm in my mid-twenties and I listen to "old people" music. I got that label from a female who was ridin' with me & I was playin' Debarge. Actually I listen to all types of music, but I prefer classic music. When I say 'classic' I mean timeless music. But I decided to make this post cause alot of my older friends ONLY listen to rap or today's R & B which they play on the radio. My thoughts is: They're older than me and don't know about Mel'lisa Morgan? Fool's Paradise huh? So, I wanted to make a list of Grown-Up Music. The type of music that, when I hear these songs I feel masculine yet vulnerable, proud yet emotional. These songs are a few of many that put you on a whole different mind-set (especially when played in a females presence). So i'm gonna give you the title and my thoughts on the songs.
Note: You have to listen to the words and what is bein' said too.

(in no particular order)
1.) The Deele-Shoot'em Up Movies
-Now this is a song in which I didn't hear untill this year. I came across song cause a rapper sampled this song and I wanted to hear the actual song. To my discovery, Babyface & L.A. Reid were in this group, this was Babyface's 1st group.
Now when I heard this song I could picture the whole scene he's talkin' about. It's a real retro song bein' that it was made in like 1987, but it's a song that still sounds good while cleaning-up. You'll be sprayin' Windex on the windows like "gotcha" (you'll have to hear the song to know what i'm talkin' about). And the fact that the song is about a guy who met a girl at a gangster movie is what makes it so special.

2.) Will Downing-A Million Ways
-This song I 1st heard on a movie. I forgot the name of the movie but remembered the song. This is some real GROWN-UP sh*t right here. This song is so smooth it makes me feel smooth, like I could seduce a woman with words while this is playing. This song is sexy (yeah I said it)! It's the type of song women love cause they think about the type of things he's sayin', wishin' that a guy would do half the things he singing about.
Play that for a mature woman while yall just chillin' and she CAN'T SAY NO, period. Unless you just have no game at all.



3.) Minnie Riperton-Inside My Love
-This is a classic! I remember hearing this when I was really young like 2 or 3 years old. Andto my discovery a few years ago my favorite producer (J-Dilla r.i.p) sample this for Slum Village hit song Climax (which is another favorite). But this song is a powerful one. I would love to hear Erykah Badu cover this song. This song will have a n*gga guard up...she spittin' game on here so tough! When I heard this when I got older I imagined a female saying the things she's saying and how would I counter it. This put me on so much game.
On the surface it seems as if she's talkin' about invitin' a guy to her "wonderland". But thats not too far off cause it could be her actual "wonderland" which can be her freedom ...it's a deep song.

4.) Gap Band-Yearning For Your Love
-This is a classic too! I remember my daddy playin' this when I was little. When I hear this I start to reminsce, besides one of my favorite songs sampled this (Nas-Life's A Bitch). These cats was spittin' game in the studio back in them days. Listen to the words...I imagine he tryin' to get at a girl and she ain't tryin' to hear it but he is singin' his heart out. I'd rather hear this than Musiq's Buddy any day.

5.) Debarge (aka Switch)-Stay With Me
-I love El Debarge's voice on this song, it sounds so smooth. I love this song...I even lip-sych the words (actin' silly) with most of their songs cause they voice sound so smooth and young. Not to mention Biggie's One More Chance sampled this song (I see a pattern that most of my favorites have been sampled). Even though he sound like a simp/captain save-a-hoe it's a good song.



6.) Maze featuring Frankie Beverly-Joy & Pain
-I remember this song back in the early 80's (I have a VERY good memory). My aunt boyfriend use to play they records (yeah those big plastic round black things in your mothers attic) and he use to vibe out to'em. I rememebr being in the back of his Cadillac strapped in my seat belt bouncin' to this.
How can you be in a bad mood when this sound comes on? This is Spring/Summer season music. Straight blowie shirts, straw hats, and linen shorts to this...thats how my aunt's boyfriend use to dress.

7.) Mtume-You, Me, He
-This is some real pimp sh*t right here. This is a song you play in the car when you pick-up a female knowin' that she has a boyfriend. This is on repeat as I speak cause all the women i'm dealing wit now all have men but they cheatin'. That bring me to the next song...



8.) Sade-Is It A Crime
- My daddy friends' wife use to baby sit me when I was little and she use to play all of Sade's tapes (that's what was in then...tapes). So I know most of Sade's music by heart. But the most poetic and sexy is Is It A Crime. Now I love the Promise CD and I can easily put any song from that album on here but this one has a feelin' of night with a candle flickerin'.

9.) Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes-I Miss You
- This song was used for a Jay-Z sample. But this song has to have had effected millions of men then, and millions of men will hear this song and nearly get teary-eyed when thinkin' of a old lover. This song that type of impact! He poured his heart out on this joint. Sound like he spoke about what men DON'T speak about when it comes to the end of realtionships. That's some real mature sh*t by confrontin' your fears & vulnerabilities.
This song is epic.

I can name ALOT but i'll keep it simple...stay tuned

No comments: